Sunday, October 11, 2009

Language

Being an American and only knowing english, it was comforting to know that almost all Swedes know english! How lucky can I get? It does has it downfalls, though. In trying to learn swedish, it is not a benefit in learning the language, but is a plus in communicating! Most swedes will appologize for their english not being that good, but, in my opinion, I see no problem. I always tell them that your english is much better than my swedish! And, that is the truth. I have picked up on quite a few words and can sometimes speak in sentences that can be deciphered but most. I am trying to speak more swedish, but I will get frustrated and just start talking in english. Google has an excellent tool on EI, that translates swedish web sites to english. Very important when looking for jobs and their descriptions....although, no luck in the job department! And, another site that helps a lot, which I have listed on my blog....http://www.lexikon24.nu/ This site will translate any english word to swedish and any swedish word to english....very, very, helpful! Swedes are very understanding and helpful in my speaking swedish, offering suggestions and how to pronounce words correctly. There are 3 more letters to their alphabet...ö,ä,å...and the letter w is not used that often, nor are there very many words that start with the letter w. Well, all for now, time to listen to the Browns!

Hejdå

1 comments:

Tani said...

Folketslexikon.com is also a very veryyy helpful sight that gives you work info. It has been my best friend ever since last summer. I've improved drastically after the use of that website.

Finding a job in sweden is definitely a challenge!

Post a Comment